Funding U determines eligibility using our proprietary SMaRT™ scoring system. SMaRT™ (Student Merit and Risk Test) relies on non-credit variables incorporating 40 years of research. All such data points conform to the Federal Equal Credit Opportunities Act. The SMaRT™ scoring system is designed to predict the probability of an undergraduate college student defaulting on his or her student loan.
We take into account a number of factors largely based on the attributes of successful federal student loan borrowers. We consider:
- Your academic success in college - especially in your major
- Your likelihood to graduate on schedule by taking and passing about 15 credits per semester
- Your projected total student debt
- Your projected earnings based on your major
- The historical data of other students who attended your school